Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The One Where Everybody Gets Sick

Well....not everybody......I'm okay ......for now.


Again I have been remiss in my blogging duties, but since my primary readers talk to me every week I'm sure it 's of no consequence.

FYI- I've been reading a lot of Jane Austen lately so if my vocabulary seems a little too fancy please forgive me.


This week has brought us three lessons:

1: The Swiss diet is much healthier than the reasonably healthy American diet.
2: Our child is EXTREMELY stubborn.
3: People will always get sick when they don't have health insurance ( we knew this, but we discovered we weren't exempt from it).


Cameron was invited to start spending his lunch hour at school with his classmates. When we first registered the Head Mistress bragged about the school lunches and how amazing her cook was. The result of course was that we sent Cameron to school without a lunch of his own so that he could enjoy the school lunch. We knew there would be something he didn't like, but we assumed there would be something he did like and that peer pressure would push him to try new foods.

We were entirely mistaken...........he put his head down and cried all through lunch. The kids encouraged him to try it and even held his spoon and tried to feed him.....he refused. I had to do some fancy talking to convince his teacher it wasn't that he was too immature to stay for lunch but that he was just a ridiculously picky eater. She didn't understand what the problem was....their dishes were all pasta and rice dishes with cheese and salad. Of course Cameron has never eaten ANY of these things EVER. Even though Dave and I love 3 of those 4 things....he refuses. His teacher was taken by surprise....but gave him another chance. When given a peanut butter sandwich and some apples Cameron proved that he was mature enough to eat with his classmates. Now I just have to deal with taking a VERY tired Cameron home at 1:30.


Fasnacht has begun in Switzerland. This is like a month long, cleaned up, version of Mardi Gras. Different towns have their celebrations on different days, but they all involve costumes, parades, music etc. Cameron's school had theirs on Friday, February 6th. The kids all dressed up. They had treats and sang songs. Cameron was a Knight. It was interesting to see boys dressed up as Cowboys and bringing toy guns to school (ah! cultural differences). Dietikon had a big dance for the school age kids, and then a week later had a bunch of people marching through the streets ringing their giant Swiss cow bells in the night. Good Fun!

This weekend Dave decided to bring home a guest. His name is Flu and I have to say, I'm not at all pleased with him......or David for bringing him. Flu made David incapable of doing much this weekend....and now he has ruined my plans for the week by forcing Cameron to lay around and blow his nose. Cameron is on break for the next two weeks. I had planned on doing lots of educational activities and being a really good parent. Now he's going to spend days in front of the television just like every other American kid. Of course, Flu will probably want to spend some time getting to know me better. I can only hope my strong scent of Vitamin C will turn him off.

I'd like to tell you that we've been living it up the past couple of weeks and that I had to work very hard to decide which of our 200 beautiful photos I would post. Unfortunately, our weekends have been more about running errands than taking in scenery. Hopefully, we'll
get to see something interesting this weekend. Unless of course Mr. Flu decides to extend his stay.

1 comment:

  1. I FINALLY figured out how to get on your blog. Sounds like Switzerland is posing a few challenges, but I bet it is beautiful. I would love to visit. Hope you are all over sickness by now! Happy Belated Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete